There may be times when you need to post a Billing in a foreign currency. For example, if your home currency is GBP - British Pound, you might sell something to a country that uses EUR - Euro as the currency. Using this example, you can select the appropriate foreign currency at the time the Billing is created.
Note: In order to be able to select a different currency, Multi-Currency must be enabled.
Do you want to:
Create & Post a Billing in a Foreign Currency
- From Accounting Home, under Cash In select Billings (Customer Invoices).
- From the list view, click New to create a new Billing. The New Billing dialog box displays.
- Select the appropriate Currency from the drop-down list.
- Select the Customer.
- (Optional) Complete any additional fields.
- Click Save. The Billing record displays.
- Scroll down the page to the Billing Lines related list. To add Billing Lines, click Mass Add/Edit Rows.
- Click Add New Line.
- (Optional) Click the Lookup icon to search for and select a Product for the line.
- Enter the Quantity.
- Enter the Unit Price.
- Enter a Revenue GL Account. Otherwise, click the Lookup icon to search for and select a Revenue GL Account.
- Click the Lookup icon to search for and select a Tax Group for the line.
Tip: To view all of the available Sales Tax Groups for your country, enter the first three letters of the Tax Group. For example for Great Britain, enter “GBS” in the Lookup search textbox and click Go. Otherwise, you can view all of the available Tax Groups from Accounting Home, under Master Data Setup | Tax Groups.
- (Optional) Add additional lines.
- At this point, you can select one of the following: Save & Complete, Save & Post, etc.
Note: Posted records can be viewed in Avalara VAT Reporting.
View the Billing in VAT Reporting
- To view the Billing in Avalara, log into your VAT Reporting Account.
- From the Transactions menu, select Processed Documents.
- (Optional) Select/enter any or all of the following, and then click Apply.
- Processed After
- Processed Before
- Filename Contains
- Only Show Manual Documents (Only applicable if manual documents were created in Avalara VAT Reporting.)
- Under File name, click the hyperlink for the Billing that you want to view.
Note: In addition to the Billing Number, each filename includes a date and time stamp. This information is included so that each Billing/Invoice Number can be uniquely identified.
- Click the Invoice Number hyperlink.
- Click the Invoice Number hyperlink again to drill-down for viewing line item details. Then, scroll down the page to view each line, as necessary.
The amounts display for your home currency and for the foreign currency.
- Scroll down the page to display the Additional Document Data.
Note: In this example the home country currency is GBP, the Value for the Taxable Basis and the VAT display the amounts in British Pounds.
- This article was new with the Iris release.