Avalara’s AvaTax integrates to the Accounting Seed Billing object. It allows you to validate shipping and billing addresses, as well as perform an automatic sales tax calculation inside of Accounting Seed.
Accounting Seed uses an API (Application Programming Interface) callout to communicate with AvaTax and perform a sales tax calculation or recalculation each time one of the following buttons is clicked:
- Calc Tax
- Create Billing (available from an Opportunity)
- Post (this “commits” the transactions into AvaTax)
Note: Committed transactions are viewed as finalized or posted transactions.
Note: If you unpost a Billing, an API callout is made to AvaTax to uncommit the transactions.
- Save & Refresh (available from Mass Add/Edit Rows on a Billing)
- Save & Complete (available from Mass Add/Edit Rows on a Billing)
- Save & Post (available from Mass Add/Edit Rows on a Billing and this commits the transactions into AvaTax).
The Billing record should be set up to include the Calc Tax and the Validate Address buttons. If you have questions about adding these buttons to the Billing page layout, refer to the Edit Page Layouts Manually article.
Calculate Tax on a Billing with Avalara's AvaTax
- Click Accounting Home and under Cash In click Billings.
- (Optional) Click Validate Address.
Note: If you have recently moved to a new address or the customer has recently updated their address, click the Validate Address button before calculating taxes. This will allow you to confirm the address is entered correctly and will work with AvaTax.
- Click Calc Tax on the Billing's menu bar. The Billing Sales Tax page displays with the calculated summary tax for the Billing.
- Click Calc Tax again. The API callout is automatically made to Avalara’s AvaTax to calculate the tax amount and then, the summary tax line is added as an additional Billing Line.