The Inventory Quantity Available object is a key object in maintaining product inventories. Inventories have three (3) main dimensions:
A company can have many different inventoried products, each of which can be stored in multiple warehouses across the company and at multiple locations within the warehouse. It is critical that the quantity of a specific product stored in a specific warehouse at a specific location be known and be able to be maintained. The Inventory Quantity Available object is how this is accomplished. The Inventory Quantity Available record links together that intersection where the Product, Warehouse and Location intersect. It is like a GPS marker on a map marking exactly where the product is and just as important, it shows how much of the product is there.
Knowing how much of a Product and where exactly it is (Warehouse and Location) is only half the battle; that quantity has to be maintained. Every received Purchase Order that adds products, every fulfilled Sales Order that removes it, transfers between warehouses, relocations within a warehouse or the movement of parts to build new products must be tracked and recorded. All of these events generate Inventory Movements. To ensure that the quantity of the Product at a specific Warehouse and Location captured in the Inventory Quantity Available record is maintained, the Inventory Quantity Available records are linked to all of the Inventory Movements.
Through these links, all additions and subtractions to the inventories can be capture.
The Inventory Quantity Available only captures the inventory quantities available and inventory movements as of the current point in time in the system. If there is a need to capture the inventory quantities available and inventory movements as of a specific past point in time in the system, an Inventory Quantity Available History can be created. Typically, you will generate these history records at month-end but it can be for any date. (See the Create Inventory Quantity Available Histories and Report on and Reconcile Inventory articles for more detail.)
View the Inventory Quantity Available
The Inventory Quantity Available is available as a list view from the Accounting Home page, the AS: Order Management application menu and on the Product record. It is also available on Inventory Reports, see Report on and Reconcile Inventory article for more detail.
Perform these steps to create an Inventory Quantity Available History record(s):
- Navigate to Accounting Home and under Orders & Inventory, click Inventory Quantity Available.
- Select the “All” list view to ensure that all Inventory Quantity Available records are visible. If only a subset of the Inventory Quantity Available records are required, a custom list view can be created.
- Below, a custom list view was selected. The Inventory Quantity Available records are displayed showing the Available Quantity by Product by Warehouse by Location.
The Inventory Quantity Available records are also available in the Product’s related lists.
- Navigate to the Product list view. (Alternately you could navigate directly to the specific Product record.)
- The Inventory Quantity Available can be found on the Related List tab. Again the Available Quantity is provided by Warehouse and Location.