Kits are simply a way to group Products for purposes of selling them as a single unit in an Opportunity or Billing. A Product can be sold either as an individual Product or bundled in a Product Kit.
Create a Kit
To create a Product Kit, all of the Kit’s components must already be set up as Products. The process is documented in the Inventoried Product Setup article. Currently, Kit Products have a product part limit of 249 product parts. Once all of the Kit’s components have been created, follow these steps to set up the Product Kit.
Note: Please keep in mind that when creating a Sales Order from an Opportunity, the number of Sales Order lines cannot be more than 250 lines.
- Navigate to the Product tab and click New to create a new Product Kit.
- Required fields are:
- Product Name.
- The Active checkbox must be checked for the Kit to be Active.
- Product Currency
- Average Cost System - Product Currency is not used and therefore can set to any value.
- The Inventory Product checkbox must be checked.
- Inventory Type - this must be set to “Kit.”
- Recommended fields are:
- Revenue GL Account - The Revenue GL Account for the product will automatically populate on the Billing Line if it is set on the Product record.
- Expense GL Account - The Expense GL Account is debited when the product is allocated on a Sales Order. For more information on the debits and credits behind product transactions, please see Debit & Credit Entries Created When Posting.
- Inventory GL Account - The Inventory GL Account is used in the accounting of all inventory movements in Accounting Seed ERP. The inventory GL account is credited when the product is allocated on the sales order. For more information on the debits and credits behind product transactions, please see Debit & Credit Entries Created When Posting.
- Next, the Products that make up the kit need to be added to the Kit Product. Product Parts are listed on the related lists tab. Click on the Related tab on the Kit Product.
- Locate the Product Parts related list. To add Product Parts click New in the Product Parts related list.
- On the New Product Part screen:
- Select the Product Part that is to be included in the Product Kit. (This Product should already be a defined Product, but can be created here by selecting + New Product.)
- The amount entered into Quantity should be the number of Product Part units to be included in one (1) Kit. For example, if only one (1) widget is included in one (1) Kit, the Quantity is 1. If four (4) widgets are included in (1) kit, the Quantity is 4.
- The Currency should be the same Currency as the Product Kit. When complete, click Save.
- Repeat with any additional Product Parts.
Note: Kit Products have a product part limit of 249 product parts.
- In addition to the Product Parts being shown on the Product Kit, if a Product is a component of a Product Kit, the Product Kit will be listed in the Parent Product related list of the Product. Below is an example.
- With the Weighted-Average Cost inventory valuation method, Kit Products have a product part limit of 249 product parts.