A Recurring Billing is a Billing template that allows you to create billing records that should be repeated during a defined future interval.
Create Recurring Billing
- Navigate to Accounting Home and under Cash In, click Recurring Billings.
- Click New.
Note: Setting up a Recurring Billing includes an Owner field that is populated with the login name.
Note: The Opportunity field is not required for the New Recurring Billing to be saved, however, it is helpful to use this field if a specific opportunity relates to this Billing.
- The following fields are required before the New Recurring Billing can be saved:
- Recurring Billing Name: Any name can be used.
- Customer: Search for the customer that this Billing will be sent to.
- Status: Determines if the Recurring Billing should still be used (defaults to Active, can be set to Inactive).
- Billing Frequency defaults to Monthly but can be reset to:
Note: Accounting Seed does not support the usage of custom frequencies.
Note: With the Iris release, existing users may need to manually add the Weekly and Bi-weekly values to the Billing Frequency picklist. For more information, refer to the Add a New Picklist Value article.
- Next Billing Date: Used to specify the creation date of the next journal entry.
- If any of the fields listed above are not populated, the New Billing Entry screen will not Save and will prompt the user to complete them.
- The Last Billing Date field is not required for the New Recurring Billing to be saved. This field is used for recording the date the last Billing was created from this Recurring Billing template. It is ignored when creating a new Billing.
- Exit the New Recurring Billing screen by clicking:
- Save: Saves the New Recurring Billing.
- Save & New: Saves the New Recurring Billing screen and offers another (blank) New Recurring Billing screen to populate (repeat this process until all required Recurring Billings have been created).
- Cancel: Cancels the current New Recurring Billing.
Create Recurring Billing Lines
- If you already have a Recurring Billing displayed based upon the steps above, continue with step 2. Otherwise, navigate to Accounting Home and under Cash In, click Recurring Billings. Then, do the following:
- Select a list view (other than the Recently Viewed list view).
- Select a desired Recurring Billing and click New. Then, continue with step 2.
- From the Recurring Billing Line related list, click New. The New Recurring Billing Line dialog box displays.
- The selected Recurring Billing name displays in the Information section. Complete the required fields, which display with a red (*) asterisk.
- Date - today’s date defaults. Click the Calendar icon to select a different date, if necessary.
- Unit Price.
- The remaining fields on the New Recurring Billing Line dialog box are optional. Complete any or all of the remaining fields.
Note: The Accounting Information section includes a Revenue GL Account field, which is one of the optional fields that you can enter as part of creating this new Recurring Billing Line. If you leave this field blank, when the Recurring Billing Line is saved, if a Product was added on the line and it includes a Revenue GL Account, it will populate from the Product. Otherwise, the Revenue GL Account number will automatically populate from the Revenue GL Account field that was entered in Accounting Settings.
- Click Save.
Note: If Header Level Posting (HLP) is enabled and using AS Native Tax calculation, the Tax Group field is available as part of the Accounting Information. For information about Tax Groups refer to the Set up AS Native Tax article.
After creating one or more Recurring Billings, they are collated onto a Recurring Billings list view that shows all the information on a single line (except the Owner data, which is not shown).
Note: Accounting Seed restricts the number of Recurring Billing Lines within a single Recurring Billing to 500 lines to prevent errors based on Salesforce limits when creating records. Additionally, there is a limit set on how many records can be created at one time using the Create or Create & Post buttons on the Create Billing intermediate screen. The limit is 500 records for Recurring Billing.
- The Revenue GL Account is now an optional field (no longer required). If you leave this field blank, when the Recurring Billing Line is saved, if a Product was added on the line and it includes a Revenue GL Account, it will populate from the Product. Otherwise, the Revenue GL Account number will automatically populate from the Revenue GL Account field that was entered in Accounting Settings.
- Header Level Posting (HLP) is available with the Iris release.
- A limit of 500 Recurring Billings can be created at one time using the Create or Create & Post buttons on the Create Billing intermediate screen.
- Recurring Billing Frequency now includes Weekly and Bi-weekly intervals.