Customer payments can be received directly from a specific billing or from multiple billings. Payments can be received as credit cards or checks. If receiving a credit card payment, an account with Stripe must first be set up and a credit card must be on file for that customer. Click here to learn about payment processing via Stripe and adding a credit card on file.
Before you begin, have a Salesforce administrator add the Receive Payment button to the Billing page layout and to the Billing list view.
Receive Payment Directly from a Billing
- Open the customer account and select the Billing that you will receive payment from.
- Click the Receive Payment button.
- Select Check or Electronic.
Note: Electronic is only available as a selection if you are connected to Stripe and have a payment method associated with the Account. Click here to learn how to Connect to Stripe.
- Enter the Discount/Adjustment Amount, if applicable.
Note: The Early Payment Discount Amount field displays the discount amount if you have discount terms set on the Account record as an incentive for early payment and the customer qualifies.
Note: An Adjustment Amount for any reason can be entered here, if necessary.
- Verify the Amount. The Amount can be modified, if necessary.
- If Electronic was selected in step 3, click the Payment Method drop-down list to select the correct Account Holder name, if necessary.
Note: The Payment Method includes the Account Holder name, credit card type, and the last for digits of the card number.
- Verify the bank account, enter the related information, and click Receive Payment. This will create a cash receipt and apply it to the billing. A bank deposit can then be created for this and other cash receipts.
Receive Payments from Multiple Billings
Note: Only payments through Stripe are supported for multiple billings. If receiving multiple non-Stripe payments, enter these as usual by first creating a cash receipt and then applying it to the related billings or using the Receive Payment button on the individual Billings.
- Navigate to Accounting Home and under Cash In, click Billings (Customer Invoices).
- Select a list view. It is recommended to only receive payments against posted billings, but payments can be received against any posting status.
- Select the billings that you want to receive payments against.
- Click Receive Payment.
Note: The intermediary screen aggregates the Billings by Customer and the default Bank Account will populate. A different bank can be selected, if necessary. The default Stripe Payment Method will be selected. You can select a different Payment Method. The Payment Method includes the Account Holder name, credit card type, and the last for digits of the card number.
Note: If any of the Billings are eligible for an early payment Billing Discount, then the Discount Amount is reflected in the intermediary screen.
- Click on the Receive Payment button. A cash receipt will be created for each customer and applied to all of the related customer billings.
- Create a bank deposit for the related Stripe batch and fees.
- If the receipt email feature is turned on in Stripe, then the customers will receive an email receipt for the payment.
- The Payment Method includes the Account Holder name.
- When you click Receive Payment from a Billing detail record page, a Discount or Adjustment Amount can be recorded from the Receive Payment screen. Additionally, if you have set up early payment discount terms on an Account record and the customer qualifies, the Discount Amount will display in the Early Payment Discount Amount field from the Receive Payment screen. The amount can then be entered manually into the Discount/Adjustment Amount field.