GL Accounting Variables are used for reporting designations like companies, divisions, departments, geographies, cost centers, profit centers, or business units. If set up, these variables would be used on source transactions, such as Billings, and Payables. For example, if you elect to use a GL Account Variable to track departmental costs, you may set up GL Account Variable Type 1 to represent your Departments and setup values such as Sales, Marketing, Product Development, Services, etc. Then, when recording a Payable for the Sales department, you would populate GL Variable 1 as Sales for that particular Payable.
Accounting Seed allows for four General Ledger Variables with unlimited values in each. The GL Variable field name can be changed to reflect what it represents with the Translation Workbench Salesforce tool. For example, this would allow for the GL Variable 1 field name to be replaced with “Department” on all your source entries (Billings, Payables, Journal Entries, etc…) See also Changing Labels for GL Variables.
Summary of Steps:
- Navigate to Accounting Home and in the General Ledger Setup section click the General Ledger Variables link.
- Click New Accounting Variable button.
- Enter the Accounting Variable Name.
- Choose the Type: GL Accounting Variable 1, 2, 3 or 4.
- Check the box if the Accounting Variable is Active.
- Click Save or Save & New to add another variable.