GL Accounting Variables are used for reporting designations like divisions, departments, geographies, cost centers, profit centers, or business units. If set up, these variables would be used on source transactions, such as Billings, and Payables. For example, if you elect to use a GL Account Variable to track departmental costs, you may set up GL Account Variable Type 1 to represent your Departments and set up values such as Sales, Marketing, Product Development, Services, etc. Then, when recording a Payable for the Sales department, you would populate GL Variable 1 as Sales for that particular Payable.
Accounting Seed allows for four General Ledger Variables. The GL Variable field name can be changed to reflect what it represents with the Translation Workbench Salesforce tool. For example, this would allow for the GL Variable 1 field name to be replaced with “Department” on all your source entries (Billings, Payables, Journal Entries, etc.). For more information, refer to Changing Labels for GL Variables.
Create a New GL Accounting Variable
- Navigate to Accounting Home and click the Setup tab. Then, under the Ledger menu, click Accounting Variables.
- Click New. The New Accounting Variable dialog box displays.
- Enter an Accounting Variable Name and select GL Account Variable 1, 2, 3 or 4 or Time Card Variable 1 or 2.
- Select the Active checkbox to indicate this is an active variable (allows for the variable to be selected in lookups).
- Click Save or Save & New to add another variable.