Accounting Seed supports the ability to archive detail transactional data by Accounting Period. When data is archived it is removed from your current data storage usage. The data is pushed to a large object in Salesforce where it can still be accessed via Accounting Seed's Financial Reporter. All summary level data is kept in your active instance and can be reported on.
What is Archiving?
Archiving is an irreversible process that removes general ledger transaction data from the following two Accounting Seed tables by Accounting Period:
- Financial Cube Transactions
Transaction records are removed from your Salesforce production instance and stored in Big Objects. The Financial Cube Transactions table is permanently deleted when archiving. The Accounting Period will be marked Archived.
What reporting features are lost upon Archiving?
- You will NOT be able to re-open an archived Accounting Period or make any changes to data for the period.
- You will NOT be able to run reports on general ledger transaction detail using the Management Reporter (aka the Standard Salesforce Reporter), Dashboards or Ledger Inquiry tools.
- Any custom fields you have created on the transaction object will NOT be archived. This data will be deleted.
How do I access and report on Archived Data?
- You WILL be able to report on summary level results from this period using all reporting tools.
- You WILL be able to access limited Source object detail for the archived data via drill-down from the Standard Financial Reports and well as Custom Financial Reports. So, the following reports still provide drill down for archived periods:
- Profit and Loss
- Profit and Loss Vs Budget
- Balance Sheet
- Trial Balance
- Cash Flow
- Custom Financial Reports
Does archiving affect my other data?
Any Ledger Hierarchies on which the Consolidations routine was run for the Accounting Period being archived can no longer be modified.
Archiving does NOT change, affect or delete transaction source objects like:
- Cash Receipts & Cash Applications
- Accounts Payable
- Cash Disbursements & Disbursement Applications
- Journal Entries
- Amortization Entries
- Time Cards
- Inventory Movements
All the source objects are preserved in your live environment.
Archiving also does NOT effect Financial Cubes, which are the summary level general ledger information stored in the application.
- Data that is eligible for archiving must be at least 15 Accounting Periods in arrears. This restriction can be decreased by contacting support.
What Do I Need to Consider When Archiving?
- Archiving is irreversible. No changes can ever be made to an archived period.
- Archived Transaction data will not be reportable in your Salesforce instance, although summary data (Financial Cube data) and the Source object data will be.
- If it is important to report on transaction detail related to any of the following list of objects below, you may want to consider a decision not to archive the data:
- Account (Customer/Vendor)
- Accounting Variable
To archive data, you must have System Administrator permissions
- From the Accounting Period Detail screen, click Archive.
- Once the archive process is complete you will receive an email notifying you of success and the Status will be changed to Archived.