Return Partially Paid Non-Inventory Sale
- Create a Credit Memo for the unpaid balance of billing.
Note: The process to create a credit memo is almost the same as creating a manual billing. The main difference is that when the billing lines are entered, they are entered with negative values. This will automatically change the invoice to a credit memo.
Important: The remaining steps to actually apply a credit memo are only applicable if you are using Lightning UI.
- Apply the credit memo to the Billing by clicking Apply/Unapply Credit Memo on the Billing record. The Credit Memo Apply screen displays.
Note: Click here to view the above image in full screen.
- To modify/narrow the search criteria, perform any of the following, as necessary:
- In the Customer field, to select a different customer for applying the credit memo, click the X to remove the current customer. Then, search for a new customer.
- In the Billing Number field, enter a specific Billing number to search for.
- In the Posting Status field, click the drop-down list to select Posted, Approved, or All.
- In order to enter any of the following filters, you must have selected a Customer, Billing Number, or Posting Status.
- Billing Date Range - Click the Calendar icon in the From/To fields to select a date.
- Due Date Range - Click the Calendar icon in the From/To fields to select a date.
- Billing Amount - Enter a beginning and ending amount.
- Click Search Billings to search for the selected criteria.
- Click a right arrow to move a selected amount into the Applied Amount field.
- (Optional) Make adjustments to Applied Amount or Applied Date, as necessary.
- Do one of the following:
- Click Save & Refresh to save your changes and refresh the Billing Credit Memo Apply screen.
- Click Save & Complete to save your changes and return to the Billing record screen.
- When the credit memo is applied and you return to the Billing screen, to view applied information, click the Applied To tab. Then, scroll down the page to view applied information, as necessary.
- Create an Account Payable to the customer for the amount originally paid and to be refunded. The amount to refund on the account payable line should be positive.
- Create a Cash Disbursement by following the standard instructions for creating a single or batch cash disbursement(s).
Tip: In the Payee Reference field of the Accounts Payable, indicate the Billing and reason for the refund to the customer. This explanation will be printed on the check or if a credit card transaction can be useful in reconciling the account.
Tip: To associate the credit memo with an original billing, place "Credit Memo for Billing number xxxxxxxxxx" in the Proprietary Billing Number field.
- The Billing Credit Memo Apply screen is available for the Lightning UI.