Please review the Create a Sales Order article.
The Sales Order Inventory Movement (“SIM”) is used to allocate available inventory to a specific sale/opportunity. Allocating the inventory reserves the available units by removing them from the inventory stock that is available-for-sale (Inventory Quantity Available object).
Important: A user-defined posting status should not be created or assigned as a default status on any Inventory Movement objects. This will interfere with the posting of these records.
Do you want to:
Allocate Inventory to a Sales Order
- Navigate to Accounting Home and click the Create Entries tab. Then, under the Orders menu, click Sales Orders.
- Select a list view (other than the Recently Viewed list view).
- Select the Sales Order for allocating inventory.
- Click Allocate in the upper right menu.
- Click the Allocate Date field and adjust the date, if necessary.
Note: With Standard Cost enabled, this sets the Allocate Date as the Movement Date on the Sales Order Inventory Movement record.
Note: Click here to view the above image in full screen.
The Allocation Sales Order lists for each Sales Order Line the Product ordered, the quantity ordered, the quantity currently allocated to the order and the quantity still needed. It then provides the current Inventory available and committed by Warehouse and location. Using the highlighted input field(s), the quantity from each Inventory line to be allocated can be input.
- Click one of the Save buttons to save allocations.
If the save is successful a notification banner displays. The Quantity Allocated amount will also have been incremented by the submitted amount(s) and the Inventory Quantity Available for the allocations reduced.
If the save was not successful, the error will be highlighted and an error message provided.
The Quantity allocated to the Sales Order can be verified reviewing the Sales Order Line(s) on the Sales Order.
Saving the Allocation generates the Sales Order Inventory Movement (SIM), which will reduce the Inventory Quantity Available for the allocated Products, as well as record the GL transactions.
- To see the SIM, navigate to the Sales Order Line (SOL) and select the Related tab.
Note: The SOL can be accessed by clicking the linked SOL in the Sales Order Line section shown above. The SIM can then be examined by clicking on the SIM number.
The SIM record shows two (2) important items:
- The Quantity moved out of Inventory and allocated to the Sales Order Line; and
- The Inventory Quantity Available record that the Quantity was moved from.
Unallocate Inventory from a Sales Order
Unallocating Inventory from a Sales Order is performed by deleting the applicable Sales Order Inventory Movement.
- Navigate to the SIM record (for example SIM-00013) created by the Inventory Allocation to the Sales Order. To unallocate the Inventory, click Delete.
- A confirmation message displays. Click Delete to unallocate or Cancel to return without unallocating.
The System will display a confirmation message.
Note: When Inventory Movements are deleted they are now automatically emptied from the Recycle Bin as a safeguard, preventing users from undeleting them.
The Sales Order Line now reflects the new Quantity Allocated.
It would be really handy if you could add a date field to the allocate screen so that you can specify the date on the SO movement - just in case the real-world allocation of items and shipments happens independently from the system allocation of items.
Otherwise you have to drill down into each SO movement to change the date. Not super easy.
Please sign in to leave a comment.