The Sales Order to Billing feature allows users to create a customer Billing from the Sales Order with a single click. Users will be able to create and post Billings directly from the Sales Order object. A Billing can be created for a full or partial Sales Order. This functionality will carry over applicable information from the Sales Order and Sales Order Lines to the Billing and Billing Lines, respectively.
Create a Billing from a Sales Order
- Navigate to Accounting Home and under the Orders and Inventory section, click Sales Orders.
- From the Sales Order List View, select the Sales Order(s) you wish to bill.
- On the Sales Order page, click the Create Billing button.
- On the Create Billing intermediate screen, the Customer Account and Ledger field will auto-populate. These fields cannot be edited.
- The Billing Date field will auto-populate. This is a required field and if needed, this field can be edited.
Note: The Billing Date field is auto-populated with the date the Billing was created.
- The Sales Order Status field will auto-populate to a status of Open. This is a required field and, if needed, this field can be changed so that users can set the status of their Sales Orders, as per their business process.
- In the Quantity to Bill column, select a value of Yes or No.
Note: By selecting a value of 'Yes', all of the Quantity to Bill fields will auto-populate with the Unbilled Quantities. By selecting a value of 'No', the Quantity to Bill fields can be manually populated with the desired quantities.
Note: Any Sale Order Lines will flow through on the Billing as Billing Lines. On the Billing Line a relationship exists to the Sales Order Line. This allows for full traceability from the Billing Line to the Sales Order Line.
Note: If the Unit Price field is not populated on the Sales Order Line, the price will not flow through to the Billing Lines. The Unit Price must be entered on the Sales Order Line in order to flow through to Billing Lines.
- Click the Create Billing button to create a Billing.
- A Billing Edit intermediary screen will display. Make any necessary edits and click the Save button to save and be directed to the Billing.
Note: These fields on the Billing will default as follows unless the user overrides them when creating a new Billing:
- Posting Status defaults to Approved.
- Billing Contact and Billing Address defaults from Account.
- Shipping Contact and Shipping Address defaults from Account.
- Billing Format defaults from the Accounting Settings. If there is a different Billing format on the Customer Account, then this will override the Accounting Settings.
- Billing Date defaults from the date the Billing is created.
- Billing Terms Name defaults from Account.
- Due Date is calculated based on the Billing Date plus Billing Days Due from the Account.
- Accounting Period defaults based on the Billing Date.
You will see a Related List of Billing Lines for each Sales Order Line. This will allow you to see how much has been billed for each Sales Order Line.
Additional enhancements of this feature are as follows:
- If GL Account Variables 1-4, Project, and Project Task are populated on the Sales Order Line, these fields will be mapped to the Billing Line.
- The Revenue GL Account set on the Product record will be used as the Revenue GL Account on the Billing Line.
- The Status field on the Sales Order is now required and, consequently, the validation rule below is now enforced via code: Status_Is_Required.