To create Billings from Expense Reports, the following conditions must be true:
- The Expense Report status must be Approved.
- The Billable field on the Expense Report Line must be checked.
- The Account field on the Project associated with the Expense Report Line must be populated with the related customer.
- If you are marking up expenses, then this Billing Rate must be set up prior to creating the Billing.
Note: With the Hibiscus Fall 2019 release, Expense Reports have been implemented for Multi-currency users.
Do you want to:
Create Billings from Approved Expense Reports
- Navigate to Accounting Home and under Projects, click Expense Reports.
- Select the Un-billed Expense Reports list view.
- Select the Expense Reports to bill by marking the checkboxes in the list view.
- Click the Create Billings button on the list view to process the Billings for the selected Expense Reports.
- Verify the following fields:
Note: Required fields display with a red asterisk.
- Billing Date: This will default to today’s date and will flow to the Billing Date field of the Billing. This date will determine the accounting period the Billing will be posted to.
- Billing Format: The PDF format related to this billing. This is usually set to the Default Billing Service PDF.
- Billing Cycle Start/End Dates: To show the date range for these Billings.
- Revenue GL Account: If the related Project Task expense GL account has an associated Time and Expense Revenue Conversion GL Account, then that will default here. See Create a New GL Account for further information.
- Expense Markup: If there is an Expense Markup, it will show up on this screen and should be verified. It will be defined in the Billing Rate record for the User, Project, or Project Task.
If Multi-currency is enabled, then
- The Currency assigned to the Billing is inherited from the Expense Report that it was created from.
- The Currency Conversion Rate used in the Billing is driven by the Billing Date on the Create Billings intermediary screen.
- This Currency Conversion Rate is pulled from the Dated Exchange Rates table. The set up is described in the Add Currencies and Exchange Rates article.
- Billings are aggregated on the Currency Dimension.
- The Ledger assigned is inherited from the Expense Report that it was created from.
- Click the Create button to create the Billing record, but not have it post to the Ledger yet. This is useful if you have an approval process in place for your Billings, or want to merge the resulting Billings with others to the same customer before posting.
- Click the Create & Post button to both create and post the Billing to the Ledger.
- A banner will be displayed when the Billing is successfully created.
Set Up Expense Markups
- From Accounting Home, click into the projects tab and select the project that you want to add an expense markup to.
- Click the New button in the Billing Rates related list.
- Enter the following required fields:
- Employee: The employee (Salesforce user) that this Billing Rate relates to.
- Project: This will default to the related project.
- Labor Billing Rate: If Time Cards are being billed to a customer, then this should be populated. Otherwise, leave as $0.
- Expense Markup: Enter the percentage of the markup on an Expense Report. For 10%, enter 10.
Tip: If the Revenue GL Account appears blank in the intermediate screen, this simply means you have not set a value for the "Time and Expense Revenue Conversion" field on the related expense GL Account. This can be done from the GL Account record itself. See Create a New GL Account for further information.
Note: Expense Reports are not posted as they do not generate General Ledger transactions. GL transactions are created from the resulting Billings or Payables generated from the Expense Reports
- Expense Reports have been implemented for Multi-currency users. Billings created from Expense Reports will inherit the Currency from the Expense Report they were created from.