In order to create Time Card Lines using the steps in this article, the Time Card Line Add Edit Lightning component must be added. For more information refer to the Edit a Page to Add a Lightning Component article.
You can enter hours worked for each day, keep track of work projects, as well as input internal and/or external comments for the hours worked. An approval process can be created for Time Cards using Standard Salesforce Approvals. The following statuses are preinstalled with Accounting Seed:
- In Process - You can set your Time Card to this status if it is incomplete and you do not want it automatically posted as part of the Scheduled Post job.
Note: Depending upon your setups, this might be the default status for your organization (org).
- Approved - This is the default system status, which can be changed in your setups to default to a different Posting Status. A Time Card status must be approved prior to posting.
Best Practice: It is recommended to have the daily Scheduled Post job created, which provides the ability for all Time Cards that have a posting status of “Approved” to automatically post based upon the Next Run Date and Preferred Start Time.
- Posted - This status is assigned to a Time Card after transactions for the Time Card Days have posted to the General Ledger.
Do you want to:
Enter a Time Card
- Navigate to Accounting Home and click the Create Entries tab. Then, under the Expenses menu, click Time Cards.
- Click New.
Note: The new Time Card dialog box displays with the fields pre-populated, including the Time Card Period field (if a Time Card Period(s) exists).
Note: The fields only pre-populate when the New button is clicked. If you Clone a Time Card, all of the fields will not pre-populate.
- Modify the pre-populated information, if necessary.
Note: Required fields display with a red asterisk.
- Employee - Your name should automatically display in this field. If you need to change the name, click X. Then, click in the Search People lookup field to search for the employee.
- Time Card Period - Click X to remove an existing period, if necessary. Or, click in the Search Time Card Periods lookup field to search and select an available period. Otherwise, enter a new Time Card Period.
Note: A system admin permission level is required to enter a new Time Card Period.
- Type - The Time Card Type can be for the Actual Time Card or a Budget Time Card.
Important: Only one Actual Time Card per employee can be included for a selected Time Card Period. However, multiple Budget Time Cards per employee can be created for the same Time Card Period. For additional information, refer to the Create a Budget Time Card article.
- Posting Status - The default Posting Status is “Approved.”
- Ledger - The default ledger displays. Otherwise, if you have more than one ledger or the multi-ledger feature is enabled, you can select the appropriate ledger from the drop-down list.
Note: Required fields display with a red asterisk.
- Project - Search for and select the project name that will be associated with this Time Card Line. For more information on Projects, refer to the Project Setup article.
- Project Task - Search for and select the project task name that will be associated with this Time Card Line. For more information, refer to the Project Task section of the Project Setup article.
- Billable - Click to select this checkbox if the hours on this Time Card Line will be billable to a customer. The Billable flag is optional in the Time Card interface and can be set to "Off" in the Enablements screen.
- Overtime - Click to select this checkbox if the Time Card Line will represent overtime pay rate hours.
- Time Card Variable 1-2 - The label for the Time Card Variable 1 and 2 can be set up in the Enablements screen. Examples of usage for this field might include items such as to record overtime, identify rework, and/or identify a location. Search to select a variable, as necessary.
Important: The Billable, Overtime and Time Card Variable 1-2 fields on the Time Card Line are controlled by both the Disable Billable Flag in Time Card Entry (on/off) button on the Enablements screen and the Read/Edit permissions to those fields.
Note: Click here to view the above image in full screen.
Delete a Time Card Line
A Time Card Line can be deleted directly from the Time Card Lines data grid.
- Navigate to Accounting Home and click the Create Entries tab. Then, under the Expenses menu, click Time Card.
- Select a list view (other than the Recently Viewed list view).
- Display the Time Card that you want to edit.
- From the Time Card screen, in the Time Card Lines section, click Add/Edit Lines.
- On the Time Card Lines data grid, click the drop-down arrow on the line that you want to delete.
Note: If you do not want to delete the entire line, but rather adjust the hours on one or more of the days, click the appropriate hours textbox, and adjust the hours, as necessary. Then, click Save.
- Click Delete. The Delete Time Card Line dialog box displays.
- Click Delete. The Time Card Lines data grid refreshes with the deleted line removed.
Note: If you are located in Germany, the period (.) is used as a decimal separator when you edit the Hours field using Add/Edit Lines.
Is it possible to hide the overtime and time card variables? I have a customer that doesn't use these fields and it may confuse users.
To hide the time card variables, go to the accounting settings and delete the fields in the time card label fields. You may want to verify that these are not being used because these would have been setup. The out of the box default has these variables blank.
Try changing the users permissions so that they don't have access to the overtime field.
Please sign in to leave a comment.