This section will show you how to set up a project, the project's tasks.
Summary of Steps to Create a Project:
- From Accounting Home navigate to the Projects Tab and click the New Project button.
- Enter the following data felids:
- Project Name
- Account - Select the account the project is for. An account may have to be created if it has not been done previously.
- Status - There are three options to choose from to display the status of the project.
- Active - Select "Active" for active projects that can be billed.
- Inactive - Select "Inactive" for projects that either have not begun, or work has paused for some reason.
- Completed - Select "Completed" once a project has been completed.
- Template Project - Click on the checkbox if this is a template project.
- Project Manager - Select the user who will be the project manager.
- Opportunity - Click on the Lookup Icon to search for an opportunity if you want to associate this project with an existing opportunity. Refer to our Opportunity to Project knowledge article to see how to associate an opportunity to an existing Project or Template Project.
- Click "Save".
Summary of Steps to Create Project Tasks:
- From the Project data record navigate to the Project Task Related list. Click the "New Project Task" button.
- Enter the following data fields:
- Project Task Name - Enter the project task name in the Project Task Name field.
- Status - There are three options to choose from for the status of the task. Select "Active" for current ongoing tasks, "Inactive" for tasks that have stopped or haven't begun, and "Completed" for tasks that are finished. If not set as "Active," the task will not show up in time card look ups.
- Budgeted Hours - Enter the amount of hours budgeted for the tasks, if they're being tracked.
- Budgeted Amount - Enter the monetary amount budgeted for the tasks, if they're being tracked.
- Start Date - Select the date the project task is set to start.
- End Date - Select the date the project task is set to end.
- Sort Order - This determines the order the tasks will be listed under the project.
- Utilization Category - Used to identify tasks that belong to a specific utilization category for reporting on productivity of time.
- Labor GL Account - Upon posting a time card, a debit entry will be made to this GL Account, and a corresponding credit entry will be made to the Labor GL Account set in the Accounting Settings tab for each Time Card Day.
- GL Account Variable 1-4 - Traditional Sub-General Ledger account segment used to report on divisions, departments, geographies, cost centers, profit centers or business units.
- Click "Save" or "Save and New" to create another data record.
- Once a project is set up (either as a project or a template project), the project can be created from an Opportunity. Also Project and Project Tasks can be cloned for rapid setup.
- Accounting Seed can support multiple project budgets. One budget version is included in the standard Accounting Seed package, but multiple budget fields can be added following the same design pattern established for the standard. To add additional budget fields simply add additional currency fields to the project task. Some common examples of additional budget fields added are: "Estimate To Completion", "Forecasted Completion", "Original Budget", "Revised Budget", Etc.