Accounting Seed uses the Salesforce Product object as the product master. All the fields and objects needed to manage products are either on the Product object itself or can be seen as a related list on the Product.
Setting Up an Inventoried Product
The following fields should be completed if the Product is used on Accounting Seed Order Management:
Revenue GL Account - The revenue GL account for the product will automatically populate on the billing line if it is set on the Salesforce Product.
- Purchased - If the inventory type is set as Purchased for a product, then the product will be available to use in the Sales Order to Purchase Order function. When a billing line with a purchased product is posted, the standard cost of the purchase product will be recognized.
- Manufactured - If an item is marked as Manufactured, it will not be available to purchase via the "purchase order fulfill" function on the sales order list view. When a billing line with a manufactured product is posted, the standard cost will be recognized of the manufactured product.
- Kit - Kits are simply a way to group products for purposes of selling them as a single unit in an opportunity or billing. A product can be sold by itself or bundled together in a kit. When creating a sales order from an opportunity with a kit as one of the opportunity products, the product parts of the kit will each be passed as separate line items to the sales order. Product parts will be passed into the sales order from the opportunity with a unit price of zero. The kit product itself will be passed into the sales order, with the price entered on the opportunity product line. When a kit is billed, the cost of its product parts at standard cost will be recognized when the billing transaction is posted. Please see the product parts section below for setting up kit components as product parts.
- Raw Material - Raw materials should not be used on the opportunity product or sales order line. The way to exclude raw materials from the opportunity is to not list them in any price books. Raw materials should only be a part of a bill of material for a manufactured product. Raw materials can be purchased through the purchase order fulfillment process from the list view of the project object.
- Kit Products have a product part limit of 5 (five) product parts.
- For example, if you have sold a customer Kit ABC which contains products A, B, and C, and you want only products A, B, and C to pass to the sales order, then check the sales order exclude option on the kit and do not check the "Sales Order Exclude" options on products A, B, and C.
- A second example would be if you have a non-inventoried part, such as a warranty shipping charge, or installation service that is sold as part of a kit but has no physical inventory fulfillment, you may want to exclude it from the sales order. You can do so by clicking the "Sales Order Exclude" option on the product part.