Accounting Periods are the fundamental data element that captures accounting transactions in the dimension of time.
When you install Accounting Seed, Accounting Periods for three calendar months back and nine calendar months forward are automatically set up for you. These can be deleted if you are not using a traditional calendar year.
The format for an accounting period must be YYYY-MM. The month value must be between 01-12. Every calendar day in a fiscal year must be a part of one, and only one, Accounting Period, meaning there can be no gap in days between a prior period’s end date and the next period’s start date.
Accounting Seed supports the following types of fiscal calendars with up to and including 12 periods:
- Traditional Calendar Year
- Fiscal Years
- 4-4-5 Fiscal Calendar
Accounting Periods can be uploaded. The Accounting Periods template is available in the Import Templates knowledge article.
The Accounting Period close process performs the following functions:
- It creates opening balances for the next Accounting Period.
- It updates current year-to-date income in the current period.
- It locks the transactions belonging to that period from any changes. Periods can be reopened as needed.
- If elected, it also updates AR and AP Aging records.
Set up Accounting Periods
- Navigate to the Accounting Periods tab and click New Accounting Period.
- Enter the period name, start date, and end date. The status should be Open. Remember, the format for an Accounting Period must be YYYY-MM. The month must be a value between 01-12. For example, 2018-05 represents the 5th Accounting Period in the 2018 fiscal year.
- Click Save.