A Billing is a customer invoice. Also known as an Account Receivable, a Billing can be created from the account related list or the Billings tab. A Billing can also be created from the Opportunity, Recurring Billing, Sales Order, Time Cards, and Expense Reports objects. The Billing Clone w/Lines feature provides an efficient way to duplicate a previously entered Billing.
Note: For information about Header Level Posting (HLP), refer to the Billing Header Level Posting article.
Create a Billing
- Navigate to Accounting Home and under Cash In click Billings (Customer Invoices).
- On the Billings screen, click New.
- On the New Billing dialog box, enter the customer information.
- Required fields display with a red asterisk.
- Posting Status - the default status is Approved. Click the drop-down list to change the default Posting Status.
- Customer - click the Lookup icon to search for the Customer.
Note: Once an Account is set to inactive (Accounting Type field is set to “None” and the Accounting Active checkbox is de-selected on the Account screen), it will no longer be available from the Lookup search.
- Billing Date - this defaults to today’s date. If you need to change the date, click the Calendar icon and select a date.
- Required fields display with a red asterisk.
- If left blank, the following fields will populate with system defaults:
- Billing Format will default from Account, and if no value then from Accounting Settings
- Billing Terms will default from Account
- Due Date will default from Account
- Customer Address will default from Account.
- Complete any additional fields as required such as PO number.
- Enter Billing Lines by clicking Mass Add/Edit Rows. Otherwise, click New.
- Enter the Quantity and Unit Price.
Note: If left blank, the Revenue GL Account from Accounting Settings will default upon clicking Save. The GL Account can be populated as the Revenue GL Account on the Billing Line, if necessary. Populating the Expense GL Account and Inventory GL Account fields with the Vouchers Payable GL Account is restricted.
- Complete any additional fields such as Product, Project, Project Task, and/or GL Variables.
Note: If calculating tax using AS Native Tax HLP, then populate the Tax Group field on the Billing Line. For information about Tax Groups refer to the Set up Accounting Seed (AS) Native Tax article.
- From the Mass Add/Edit Rows page, click one of the following:
- Save & Refresh - Save your changes and refresh the screen to display the Mass Add/Edit Rows with your changes.
- Save & Complete - Save your changes and return to the Billing screen.
- Save & Post - Save your changes and post transactions to the General Ledger.
- Save & New - Save your changes and display the New Billing dialog box to create a new Billing.
With Header Level Posting (HLP) enabled, if tax was calculated, the Tax Amount displays as a part of the Billing Line.
With Line Level Posting (LLP) enabled, if tax was calculated, a separate Billing Line is added for the Tax Amount.
Note: If you clicked Mass Add/Edit Rows and then clicked Save & Post, an asynchronous posting process is started. This is a form of timing protocol for the system to begin an operation once another one has completed. When all posting requirements are met, the record is posted. If there are errors during the posting process, the posting silently fails and an Activity record is created with details about the failure. This can be accessed from the Today’s Tasks widget on the Homepage or from the All Activities tab on the record.
Best Practice: It is recommended to have the daily Scheduled Post job created in Accounting Settings, which provides the ability for all Billings that have a posting status of “Approved” to automatically post based upon the Next Run Date and Preferred Start Time. The Scheduled Post job should be the last automated job that is scheduled.
Clone a Billing
- Use the Proprietary Billing Number field if you are integrating to an external billing system or if you want your own custom invoice number. This can be used for legacy billings for loading history as well.
- Billing Line limits are documented in the API section.
- Salesforce will prevent you from deleting a billing with more than 200 billing lines. If you have over 200 billing lines and wish to delete the billing you will need to delete the number of lines in excess of 200 individually. Once there are fewer than 200 lines you will be able to delete the billing.
- With the Koali release, once an Account is set to inactive (Accounting Type field is set to “None” and the Accounting Active checkbox is de-selected on the Account screen), it will no longer be available from the Lookup search.
- Header Level Posting (HLP) is available with the Iris release.
- For Accounting Seed (AS) Native Tax, Tax Groups and Tax Rates can be created to support tax calculation with HLP enabled.
- A Save & New button has been added to the Mass Add/Edit Rows page. This will save any entered information on the Mass Add/Edit Rows page and then open a New dialog box for creating a new header record. This can result in fewer clicks/keystrokes.
- Clicking Mass Add/Edit Rows and then clicking Save & Post, starts an asynchronous posting process.
- The Scheduled Post job allows you to schedule an unattended background program to execute the automatic postings of records after business hours, overnight, or any desired time.
- System Business Rule: Prevent the Vouchers Payable GL Account to be used in the Expense GL Account field and the Inventory GL Account field on the Billing Line.