Reverse Applying a Cash Disbursement to a Payable is most commonly used in the following cases:
- You have imported vendor payments as Cash Disbursements from the Bank Direct Connect function and wish to match them to an existing Payable.
- You have prepaid a vendor for services when a Payable did not yet exist and the vendor has since sent an invoice that you want to connect to your payment to.
- Navigate to Accounting Home and under Cash Out click Cash Disbursements.
- On the next page, click the Cash Disbursement record you wish to Apply to a posted Payable.
- Click the Apply button to apply this Cash Disbursement to one or multiple payables. If you do not see the payable in this screen, verify that the payable is posted and then click Apply.
- Cash disbursements can be applied based on the account, Contact, or Employee.
- Select the Payable you wish to apply it to and click the arrow button.
- Verify the Accounting Period is correct.
- Click the Save and Complete button.
Applying a Cash Disbursement to a posted Payable creates an Account Payable Disbursement record which in turn creates two transaction records:
- Debit to the Account Payable Control GL Account.
- Credit to the GL Account referenced in the Debit GL Account field on the Cash Disbursement record.
Also, if you are using multi-currency, the Payable and the Cash Disbursement must be in the same currency. The difference in the exchange rates on the Payable and the Cash Disbursement will flow through to the gain/loss GL account setup in Accounting Settings.
You can now apply cash disbursements based on the Contact or Employee, not just the Account.